Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Summer vacation is almost here!!!

Today was the seniors' last day of instruction. Who am I kidding? They did not receive any instruction. They were pumped up and crazy. But all of my seniors passed!!!! Since I teach a Sophomore class, it is nice when the seniors can finally pass the class to graduate.
The stress of the day, which would make your straight hair curl, your dark hair grey, and my nerves shot made it necessary to take Belle out for a nice relaxing walk. She has been limping at a trot since Saturday when she had her toes trimmed (yeah, it's hooves trimmed, bite me). Relaxing to Belle is all relative. She did not want to be too far away from Foxy and the baby, but since others were riding, Lady could not run loose (she likes to buck and kick other horses, which is fine when it is Belle, Foxy, or Babe(I'll have to talk about Babe later) because they will put her in her place without too much damage, I don't trust the other horses to not hurt her)
Since I am working Belle in a snaffle to try and work on flexibility, it can be difficult to get her to turn. Fortunately, she is beginning to respond to leg pressure(who am I kidding? It's not pressure, its a very non subtle kick. She was a freaking carriage horse for 16 years. Pressure in the flanks means that Bart is doing something stupid and needs to be chewed on. Neck reining -- that is something that stupid trainees try. Subtlety is lost on her. I have NEVER been known for subtlety anyway. Except when driving Sailor. Driving him was mostly telepathic. I said his name to cue him and he knew what to do. Unless he was mad or scared and then it was -- Holy crap, this horse can move. I digress)
My back went out on Sunday so I can't clean stalls (that's my story and I'm sticking to it-- Hey, the kids' have two horses, I only have one. They owe me for summer camp. I'll take it out in trade)so I have been able to ride lately and the kids' get to clean stalls and then ride or ride and then clean stalls. It's been great.
Belle's illustrious Mustache



Just for you, SLC Slave Driver -- a pic of the yurt

Actually it is the guest house for the in-laws, mine or the hubbie's

1 comment:

  1. Note to self- do not invite self to stay in BPS's "guest house", AKA "Spider City"

    Although your Dad, former Green Beret/Special Forces Dude, might think of it as an adventure...

    Vilych: the what the outbuildings surrounding your property might become...

    ReplyDelete